Alright guys, are you ready for another book-torial?!! (If you missed the first tutorial on how to cover books with fabric, be sure to check it out here.)
Today we’re making a top secret book safe for all your pretty little treasures. Shall we get started?
HERE’S THE HOW TO:
Stuff You’ll Need:
Book (I used one of the books I made with the DIY: Covered Book tutorial.)
Ruler (I used a square ruler, as shown above.)
Piece of cardboard
1. Mark where you’d like the hole to be inside the book. You’ll want to leave an edge that is at least 3/4 of an inch thick.
2. Use the knife and your ruler to cut through the pages along the outline you drew. I liked using the square ruler because it helped me create neat corners while cutting.
3. When you get close to the last pages insert a piece of cardboard between the pages you want to cut and the book cover. This will prevent you from accidentally slicing through the book cover.
4. Once you finish cutting you will want to touch up the rough spots. I fine tuned the edges with some scissors and a piece of sandpaper.
5. Now, it’s time to glue the pages together. I brushed Mod Podge along the page edges both on the inside of the hole I cut out and the outside of the book. It is important to only use a little bit of Mod Podge to keep the pages from wrinkling due to the moisture.
6. Place some wax paper between the wet pages and the book cover to keep the book from becoming glued shut. Stack some heavy books on top to apply pressure so that the pages will dry flat. (Note: You’ll need to do several coats of the Mod Podge to securely adhere the pages together. Be sure to allow each coat to dry before applying the next.)
Ta-da! That’s pretty much it. I’m still trying to figure out what type of closure to use. I’m thinking magnets might do the trick, but I haven’t found any that were super thin and strong enough to keep the book closed. Do you guys have any suggestions? If so, you rawk! 🙂
So, what will you be hiding in your book safe?